In subtropical Queensland, we are a bit different from other areas of the country. Lawn varieties that thrive down south just won’t grow up here. While we can suffer from drought and water restrictions we also need to deal with high levels of humidity and long wet summers. In the subtropics we need a lawn that is thick and dense to stop weeds from taking hold, a drought tolerant lawn and one that doesn’t grow so fast that it needs to be mowed every second day. Here’s the three varieties of turf that Daleys Turf suggest for subtropical Queensland:
Sir Walter DNA Certified soft leaf Buffalo
‘Sir Walter’ has now become the most sought after grass on the coast and it is because of its excellent suitability to our coastal environment. Coupled with the fact that it was found and developed in the Hunter Valley, N.S.W. it is Australia’s only native licensed premium lawn turf that comes with a “Certificate of Authenticity”.
- New generation soft leaf – prefect for kids
- Lush emerald green colour
- Zero weeds – because of its dense mat
- Shade and full sun tolerant
- Low water usage – great drought tolerance
- Salt tolerant – great for swimming pools
- Easy maintenance compared to other varieties
- Hard Wearing
- Suitable for commercial applications
- Only turf grass to come with a “Certificate of Authenticity”
- Locally grown here on the Sunshine Coast
- Australian Bred and Owned
- Hard wearing and suitable for homes, sports and playing fields, schools and commercial applications
- Provides a dense cover
- Gives long lasting results in full sun
- Backed by 20 years of research, evaluation and trials
- Maintains a fine leaf blade and a dark green colour
- Has a strong, horizontal growth habit, ensuring a tolerance to low mowing
- Rapidly recovers from stresses such as flooding, disease and pests
- Good tolerance to broadleaf herbicides used for weed control
- Low dormancy ensuring an early start to the growth phase after Winter
- Excellent tolerance to wear and tear and high traffic
If a finer blade grass is your preference, then go no further than Platinum Zoysia Grass. Selected by Lawn Solutions Australia as an excellent performing lawn grass, hardy Platinum Zoysia is well-adapted to tropical, sub-tropical and warm temperate climates in Australia. Platinum Zoysia Grass has a relatively fine leaf up to 5mm wide and 40-50mm long which is soft to touch, provides excellent wear tolerance and thrives in extreme heat and humidity. It performs fairly well in the shade and keeps good winter colour and it can generally outcompete weeds once established. Platinum Zoysia requires less watering & less mowing than most other lawn types in Australia.
Zoysias are warm season grasses and are well adapted to tropical, sub-tropical and warm temperate conditions by having the ability to roll its leaves to conserve water. This increases its drought tolerance which is a trait normally only exhibited in broader leafed grass varieties. Platinum Zoysia is a cost effective option if you are looking for a turf for your yard, requiring less watering and less mowing than most other lawn types in Australia. Zoysia grasses spread both by stolons and by rhizomes, and are noted for their relatively slow growth rate which reduces the mowing needed. Once established, Platinum Zoysia competes well with weeds. With every Platinum Zoysia purchase, no matter how big or small, you will be issued with a Lawn Solutions Australia Product Warranty. This certificate is our promise to you that you are receiving genuine Platinum Zoysia. As a member of the Lawn Solutions Australia house of brands, your purchase of Platinum Zoysia will also be covered by our nationwide 10 Year Product Warranty. Contact your accredited Lawn Solutions Australia supplier now to find out how quickly you can enjoy a brand new Platinum Zoysia solution.
For a new lawn for your subtropical Queensland home just contact the team at Daleys Turf today.