In the debate of real vs fake in regards to lawn much of the issues are based around safety; which is safer, for the environment and your family, natural grass or artificial grass?
Firstly, looking at artificial or synthetic turf, while the science is not 100% conclusive, there is enough information to demonstrate that artificial turf may pose significant environment, health, safety, and quality of life threats to our communities and families. So far, studies have found that artificial turf is:
Leaching toxins into our environment
Studies have concluded that artificial turf has the potential to pollute our environment with dangerous toxins like polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, phthalates, arsenic, cadmium, chromium, and lead. As a result, runoff from an area of artificial turf that drains to a local creek or waterway can pose a risk of toxic effects. And kids playing on these lawns are exposed to leaching and off-gassing chemicals known to have carcinogenic, repro-toxic, mutagenic, and endocrine-disrupting effects.
Increasing injury severity
Researchers are studying the effects of artificial turf on increasing injuries, including increased frequency and severity of head injuries, and increased potential for infection and skin burns.
Creating heat islands
Artificial turf gets much hotter than natural grass. Studies have found temperatures on artificial turf exceeding temperatures on nearby natural grass in the range of 4° to 35°C—even up to 60°C—hotter. The result is play on artificial turf where temperatures can be 47° to 69°C—and even hotter.
Alternatively, being a natural, growing product, a natural turf has many benefits to offer:
- Helps to maintain a balanced eco-system – natural turf enhances the environment rather than causing harm.
- Lawns absorb heat, break up radiant energy, reduce glare and having a cooling effect to the surrounding area, including your home.
- Turf reduces the risk of fire by acting as a natural fire break.
- Natural lawns reduce CO2 emissions, generate oxygen and absorb noise.
- Research has found that natural greenspaces offer sustained and significant improvements in mental health.
- Lawns reduce dust by trapping it in between the blades, which is then washed into and trapped by the soil. Lawn varieties are readily available that are suitable to allergy sufferers.
- Can increase the value of your home by up to $75,000.
- Natural turf is an effective, long-lasting and cost-effective form of soil erosion control.
- Lawns reduce the risk of injury through a cushioning effect.
- Turf helps to improve local water quality by slowing down runoff as well as trapping pollutants and sediment. Rainwater filtered by grass plants is 10 times less acidic than run off from a hard surface.
While needing some basic ongoing maintenance, a natural lawn provides benefits to you and the environment that greatly outweighs any time and effort spent on lawn care.
Synthetic lawn will also require regularly cleaning and can pose a trip hazard and will greatly heat the temperature of your home. And let’s be honest, they aren’t that much fun to play a game of soccer on.
Daleys Turf can deliver your new lawn locally, as well as to the Gold Coast, Ipswich and Brisbane regions. Contact us today to learn more.